Udvartana or Powder massage is a special Ayurvedic therapeutic massage in which
herbal powders mixed with oil are used to massage the body.
Udvartana softens and exfoliates the skin, improves muscle tone, and is a favoured treatment for those with sensitive skin.
In addition, Udvartana improves blood circulation and eases joint pains.
For those who wish to remove fat and dead cells, it is advisable to follow up Udvartana with Abhyanga moisturising massage.
Benefits of Udvartana
- Helps to reduce excess of fat in the body.
- Helps tu reduce cellulite.
- Removes the bad body odor, due to excessive sweating.
- Improves the body skin complexion.
- It helps to reduce weight and gives a well toned body when taken as a part of a treatment program including an Ayurvedic plan, regulax yoga and Ayurvedic herbal supplements.
How does the Treatment of Udvartana work?
The whole body is gently massaged with herbal powders that are dry and rough in nature and hot in potency. This helps to reduce fat patches from the body known as cellulites, toning of the muscles, improves blood circulation and eases joint pains.
The oil taken for Udvartana is sesame-based, which is infused with herbs which create lightness, dryness, roughness, remove the blockages and stiffness.
This oil also takes care that the skin does not become dry superficially and remains soft after the treatment.
This herbal paste (powders and oils) when rubbed on the body in a specific manner creates friction, which open the pores, remove blockages in vessels, increase the heat in the tissues and percolates inside to stimulate fat metabolism.