From: Happy Food,
Think you know your onions? You may be surprised to find out that this staple ingredient has a variety of different health benefits. Not only are onions a tasty base to all sorts of dishes, but they also contain high levels of illness-fighting antioxidants, in addition to chromium – a mineral which helps maintain a healthy balance of hormones and prevent a drop in energy levels. And that’s not all these clever vegetables can do – a recent study has found that onions contain GPCS peptide, which can help inhibit loss of bone minerals and calcium. That’s worth a bit of onion breath, surely...
Before you swap your lunchtime apple for a raw onion, have a look at this recipe from British Onions. Their tasty tagine is a great way to get more onions into your diet, and it also contains garlic, ginger, almonds and cranberries – all brilliant for your mental and physical wellbeing. Time to put your apron on...
Lamb and onion saffron tagine
You will need:
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gasmark 5
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the lamb until browned. Remove from the pan.
3. Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes until softened. Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the cinnamon, saffron, tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the lamb.
4. Cook in the oven for an hour to an hour and a half until the meat is tender.
5. For the couscous: Heat the butter and fry the almonds for 1 minute until golden brown then add the cranberries.
6. Make the couscous according to the packet instructions with either hot water or stock.
7. Add the almonds and cranberries to the couscous then sprinkle with fresh coriander to serve alongside the tagine.
It's easy enough to decide you want to eat well - the hard part is finding the right foods to keep you healthy and satisfy your tastebuds. The Wahanda Tasters have lots of food and drink ideas to have you looking good, feeling good and bursting with energy in no time. And no, they don't all involve wheatgrass.See my profile »