Celebrity facialist and acclaimed professional dancer Su-Man Hsu has taken the skin and beauty world by storm with her signature treatments, and is now bringing them to the heart of London. Fusing her knowledge of facial massages with shiatsu and Pilates, Su-Man tailor-makes her own particular style of facial experience at London’s W Hotel each Thursday. Mixing her native Taiwanese skincare rituals with her own passion for art, her facials work to treat both the face and the surrounding areas for maximum benefit.
Loved by A-list celebrity clients including Anne Hathaway, Estelle, Juliette Binoche and Joely Richardson among many others, Su-Man’s facial includes massaging each particular area 36 times. It’s not an obsession though – the tradition is based on the ancient Chinese belief that the number six is lucky and leads to the ultimate state of happiness.
Su-Man shares her summer beauty expertise to keep skin in tip-top condition and nourished no matter what the weather’s up to:
1. Keep your skin thoroughly hydrated inside and outside. Drink lots of water, much more than you think you need, especially if you are regularly exercising outside. Use toner; it's even more important during the summer as it helps to balance skin pH and re-hydrate after cleansing. For ultimate refreshment, keep your toner in the fridge.
2. Drink a glass of salty warm water before breakfast to replenish the water and salt lost over night.
3. Watermelon not only cleans your digestive system, but is also a simple and fantastic beauty tool during the summer. Eat the fleshy part of the melon then rub the green part on your face and leave for 10 -15 minutes as a mask. This will refresh, hydrate and minimise outbreaks of pimples caused by excess oil.
4. Use sunscreens that contain zinc oxide. It reflects the sun’s rays and scatters them from your body while boosting your skin's antioxidant defences at the same time.
5. Drinking Wu-long tea often can keep your skin's elastin level high and help your digestion after meals. Make a jug of this tea, add ice cubes and chill for a refreshing summer drink.
Want to experience Su-Man’s talents first-hand? If so, you’re in for a treat. After an initial skin analysis, Su-Man’s technique is to awaken the skin with a scalp massage before deeply cleansing the skin with steaming, using gentle extraction to remove stubborn blackheads and exfoliate the skin. For total relaxation, a botanical face mask nurtures the skin before a quick tone and moisturise leaves the face sparkling.
With each part of the process, Su-Man’s massaging fingers glide over all parts of the upper body including neck, chest and shoulders to rebalance and awaken the skin. Additionally, shiatsu massage is performed over the head, arms and feet to stop any tension from affecting the natural beauty in our faces. Thursdays at the W Hotel will be booking up in no time…