On a mission to fight the flab? According to a recent study by Klick Fitness, collectively, we Brits are aiming to lose 300,000 tonnes during 2012. If you’re finding that number quite hard to compute, let’s put it this way – that’s the same amount of weight as 30,000 London buses. We’re starting to wonder whether our weekly session at the gym is going to cut it...
Of course, broken down by individual, the amount of weight we’re trying to lose is a great deal less (phew). According to the research, the average UK woman wants to lose a stone this year, whilst the average man wants to lose 12lbs. Sounds doable, doesn’t it?
With medical journal The Lancet suggesting last year that half the UK population could be obese by 2030, the team at Klick Fitness are understandably keen to get people moving. Di Lever, manager at the Stoke branch, says: ‘The key [to losing weight] is breaking a sweat – get running, dancing or even jog up and down the stairs a few times – whatever it takes to get your pulse going. As you’d expect, the gym’s a great place to start, especially if it’s one like Klick Fitness with lots of different equipment and classes. Everyone’s different, so I tell my members to ask a personal trainer and work together to find the best approach for them.’
But do we really know what’s best for us? Klick Fitness asked those surveyed how they intended to lose weight, and here’s what they said:
- By making dietary improvements – 68% of those participating in the study intended to focus on food in their bid to shift the pounds. We can’t help but think it’s a pretty good place to start – why not find yourself a professional nutritionist to make the challenge a little less daunting.
- By staying away from public transport - It’s those buses again...49% of those asked said that they planned to walk or cycle instead of taking the train or bus. So go on, what are you waiting for? Get pedalling and turn your commute into a workout.
- By thinking positive thoughts – 23% of those surveyed thought that thinking positively was the way to slim down. We admire their optimism – but we think it may be a little more complicated than that. Try finding yourself a qualified hypnotherapist to help you work out how best to channel that positivity.
- By going to the gym – surprisingly, only a quarter of participants planned to head to the gym for a good old-fashioned workout. Fancy joining them? Visit our Klick Fitness page or browse for other gyms in your local area.
- By taking part in more sport - only 12% fancied getting stuck in to some sport – despite the fact that we think it’s one of the best ways to motivate yourself. Looking to try something new? We’ve got plenty of ideas listed on the website, from football and rugby to hockey and tennis. There’s a sport out there to suit everyone...
So what do you reckon – can Great Britain lose 300,000 tonnes in the course of the next 9 months? It’s a tricky one, but we think that with the help of our great fitness offers and nutritional advice it could just be doable. Might need a pretty huge pair of scales for the weigh-in, though...